Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Recovery

Recovery is going OK. The night of the race it felt like every muscle in my legs was about 2 inches long. Very stiff and tight. Monday was quite a bit better, but I started having some pain in my right foot that got worse throughout the day. By bedtime it hurt pretty bad. This morning it didn't hurt when I woke up but as I was on my feet getting myself and the kids ready for the day the pain returned. I made an appointment with a podiatrist because I had myself scared it was a stress fracture. The x-ray was clean, but the doctor cautioned me that a stress fracture can take a couple weeks to show up on x-ray. He said I could run some short distances but needed to stop if I have pain. If the pain gets worse or isn't better in 2 weeks I need to go back for another x-ray and possibly CT. Right now he's calling it peroneal tendonitis. This picture shows where that tendon is, but that's not where the pain is. It's along the fifth metatarsal (the long bone where that tendon connects, on the side of my foot with the pinky toe). There's no pain when I'm not bearing weight, though. I don't know if that's what it is or not, but I at least feel better knowing there isn't an obvious fracture. I'll be good and take care of myself because tonight I created my training plan from now(ish) through my 10k in June. I feel the need for speed! Now, cooperate feet!!!

1 comment:

Kim said...

AWW! What a bummer :( You might need a bone scan for your foot if you end up thining it's a stress fracture - that is how I saw mine. Hopefully it is just tendonitis, and you'll feel better after talking two weeks off, so you can get on with your speed plan!