Saturday, March 19, 2011

Another Kind of Race


Today is Jake's birthday so we started out the morning with presents. The kids got him a book (The Long Run: A New York City Firefighter's Triumphant Comeback from Crash Victim to Elite Athlete) and I got him a Garmin watch so he can start training for the 5ks and 10k I have planned for us in the next few months (and the half marathon(s) beyond that).

After that, we headed to downtown Dallas for our race- The Gorilla Challenge . It's like the tv show Amazing Race, but on a small scale... just a few miles within downtown Dallas. We were given 12 clues, of which we had to complete 10. Once we solved the clue, we plotted it's location on a map. We tried to plot a course that made the best use of time. At each location we had to have somebody else take our picture to document completion. We finished 10 clues, then raced back to the starting point. And yes, we ran almost the entire time... Jake thinks 3-4 miles. I should have worn my Garmin or used MapMyRun so I could post where all we went! We finished in about 1 hour and 10 minutes and were actually the third team back. The first team successfully competed their clues, the second team messed one up, but so did we. Bummer! So close!!! Second place would have paid $250...

The picture I posted is my favorite from the challenge. We were striking "a European pose" by the Pacific Ave. street sign!

1 comment:

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

Man, that sounds like so much fun! I'd love to do a race like that!