Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Two Thoughts on Tuesday

Marathon thoughts: Watching my friend's marathon was awesome. We found a spot at mile 21.6 to sit and wait. We got there just in time to see the male leader/winner pass. We also saw lots of people walking the half marathon (our spot was mile 8 for the half). I watched my sister-in-law run when she did her half at White Rock last year, but I've never watched a marathon. It was just as motivational to see people walking through that area as it was to watch the winners. Probably more so, since that's more likely where I would be in a marathon. It helped me realize that I can run a marathon, even if I can't RUN the entire 26.2 miles, and now I want to do one. Since we're already committed to Vegas the weekend of White Rock this year, and White Rock is probably the biggest marathon in the Dallas area, it will likely be White Rock (December) 2012 before I do it. My mom is already freaking out- the long distance running worries her. It shouldn't. My last 5k was more painful than my half marathon.

Today I ran 6 miles. That's my longest run since the half. It felt good and the weather was great (temp in the 60's and almost no wind). My pace was 10:26. My pace got faster with each mile, starting at 10:46 and speeding up to 10:10. That's a little faster than Runner's World thinks I should be doing a long run (11:08-12:30), but sometimes it just feels good to run. I bought some new shorts at Run On! last weekend so I got to try them out for the first time. I only had running skirts and capris, but haven't been able to find shorts that I like. The standard running shorts with built in briefs make me feel naked and I can't run when I feel naked! I found these New Balance 2-in-1 shorts that have build in compression shorts (not hardcore compression, but just like what's under my running skirts). I loved them. I need to get more.

1 comment:

Shanda said...

I like those shorts too! I feel the same way when I run In shorts! I'll have to give them a try!!