Saturday, April 16, 2011

First Run Club

I joined the running club at our gym months ago but haven't attended any of the runs until today. They recently added a Saturday morning run to the schedule. The only other run is on Wednesday nights. Evenings are difficult for me/us since we have young kids and early mornings are tough with our non-traditional work schedules. Excuses, excuses... I put the kids in childcare this morning and waited at the front of the gym for some fellow runners. The regular leader was out of town but we still had a leader. Other than her, it was me and 2 other new people. I'm sure she was thrilled to have all newbies. She gave us the option of doing the planned speed workout or going for a longer run together. I voted speed since I need all of that I can get. Here was our workout:
  • Warm-up 1 loop (a loop is about 0.4 miles)
  • 4 x 1/2 loop with 1/2 loop recovery @ 5k race pace
  • 1 loop easy
  • 4 x 1 loop w/ 90 second recovery after each loop @ slightly slower than 5k race pace
  • Cool down 1 loop
The leader ended up running with the other woman. The man said his 5k time was 27-28 minutes so we ran together. It was really enjoyable. We did those first 4 x 1/2 loops at faster than (my) 5k pace - about 7:30ish. The 4 x 1 loops that were supposed to be slower we ran at what should be my 5k pace- about 8:30ish. We ran a total of 4.66 miles. I stopped my Garmin for the 2nd cool down loop that we walked because I didn't want that skewing my numbers. Average pace for the entire workout was 9:31.

I enjoyed the workout and it was nice to have company. The guy joked that I was a thoroughbred and he was just trying to keep up with me. I was just trying to keep up with him, though!

No comments: