Sunday, July 24, 2011

Sub-2 Half Marathon Week 1 Review

I made it through week 1 of my 10 week plan. I got in my 4 runs, 1 core class, 1 yoga class, and 2 strength training sessions over 6 days and I took one day off from everything (well, I actually worked at the job that pays me). I posted my Monday-Wednesday workouts in my "Three Things Thursday" post.

On Thursday I did strength training, which was great. I like lifting weights. I increased the weight on about half of my exercises.

I worked on Saturday, but a group of moms from my friend's Baby Bootcamp franchise were meeting at 6am to run 5 miles. I decided I could join them and still make it to work on time if I showered at our gym rather than driving all the way home. I participated in this program when my kids were younger and it was called StrollerFit. I knew a few of the moms and one other former member also came out for the run. We ended up running together for about the first 3 miles. She is FAST. I was breathing heavy and she wasn't, but I knew it was good for me to hang with her for as long as I could. After about 3 miles I needed a walk break so I waved her on. I ran 5.1 miles in 51:13 (average pace 10:03). My fastest mile was 9:25. It felt like we were hauling ass, so it baffles me that I will be able to run 13.1 miles at a pace 20 seconds faster! But I know that the temperature plays a huge role in my performance right now. I trust my plan!

Today I went to yoga. I really liked the instructor- she was a sub. She was tough. There were no child's pose breaks!!! Class also ran long at about an hour and 20 minutes. I know my hips are very tight but she took us through some poses that made me realize just how tight they really are. But we did some good stretches that I'll have to incorporate to help loosen up through the hips.

I'm looking forward to week 2! I have 3 runs planned with women from my run club. The only one I have to do by myself is speedwork.

No comments: