Monday, July 11, 2011

Chiropractor Update/X-ray Review

This morning I went to the chiropractor for a regular visit. I haven't been having much pain since my last visit. He went over my x-rays with me, which I thought were really interesting. As a nurse, I have almost zero training in reading x-rays. I can pick out problems on an x-ray about as well as anyone without medical training. So that being said, he could feed me total crap and I'd have no way of knowing whether it was true or false. Here's one of the x-rays:

See the (basically vertical) line drawn on the x-ray? That's normal spine curvature. See my spine? Not normal. My personal trainer called it correctly several weeks ago. Lordosis (curvature of the spine). It's likely from pregnancy and is just the way my body handled gaining far too much weight 9 months of carrying a baby. Twice. The good news is that I don't have any arthritis, the disk spaces are all good... no damage. So my big question, of course, was how we fix it. Surely there are some exercises I need to be doing or something. According to the chiropractor we do adjustments for several weeks to get the spine where it should be, then we start PT to strengthen the muscles. If my back muscles get stronger right now, they just reinforce the curvature.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area? I'd love input.

1 comment:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

That is a nasty curvature. Kids are so hard on our bodies! I hope you gel it all straitened out soon.