Monday, May 16, 2011

Great Day for a Long Run!

I trained for a half marathon in Dallas and didn't do one single training run at White Rock lake. That's probably some sort of violation of runners code when you live in this area.This morning I changed that! I can see why that trail is a favorite in Dallas. Even on a weekday there were plenty of people on it, mostly cyclists. I thought it was very nice when they approached me from behind (that's what she said) and said, "Rider on your left". I didn't wear music so I could usually hear them approaching anyway. I ran 9 miles in 1:34:55 (average pace 10:33). I was pretty consistent. Fastest mile was 10:12 and other than my last mile where I walked off and on several times, my slowest mile was 10:37. It was getting pretty warm by then and I was ready to be finished.

I learned a lesson in this run. I am not immune to chafing. I've never had that problem but about 4 or 5 miles in I noticed that the seam on my purple tank from Target was rubbing under my left arm. I tried pulling it up. I tried pushing it down. I tried to rip the seam. I considered taking it off entirely- but decided my hydration belt might chafe worse than the shirt. So now there's a nice little red spot under my arm. It could be worse... at least it wasn't my skirt. And that's why they say not to try anything new on race day. A shirt didn't keep me from running but I could see how chafing on your legs would!

Now I need a nap. I want to keep my long run somewhere around this 8-10 mile range so I won't ever be far from half marathon shape, but I wonder when that distance will quit making me so tired for the rest of the day.
Surely the more I do it, the more accustomed to it my body will become.

No comments: