Monday, June 13, 2011

First Long Run of My Sub-2:00 Half Plan

Yesterday I created my training plan for my next half marathon. I decided to run the Heels & Hills & Him 1/2 Marathon on September 25th. That's 12 weeks away. It's still hot here in September, so I'm not sure if I can achieve my sub 2:00 at that race, but maybe by training in the heat I can. You never know unless you train!

I found the plan that Dimity of Run Like a Mother used to run a sub 2:00 half on Runners World. Then, I went to a half marathon and marathon training seminar at a local running store last night. Of course they're selling their program which I would love to do, but just isn't possible with our atypical work schedules. But the jewel of the seminar was the password to access their training plans online. Score! So, I merged the two plans into my own. I'll try to make a pretty chart and post it here but for now it's chicken scratch on some print-for-free calendars I found online. Both plans endorse a long run and speed workout of some form each week plus a couple other days of "easy" runs. I really only plotted the long runs and speed workouts because I'll just have to fit the other runs in once I have my work schedule each month. I do my long runs on Sunday, Monday, or Tuesday depending on Jake's work schedule.

Because I have a time goal rather than a "just finish" goal, my long run starts at 7 miles and gets to 13 miles by week 6. It takes me to 15 for my longest run. I'm hoping that all those weeks of running longer long runs make a big difference come race day... as in 13.1 is the new 3.1! Achieving these distances and paces is a little daunting, especially given the fact that I'm training through the summer, but I'm hoping that by being able to do them in the summer I'm that much stronger once we have good running weather again.

So, today was my first long run.... 7 miles at 10:30 goal average pace. I got started at 8am and it wasn't too hot for the first 3 or 4 miles. I also hit some decent hills (as good as it gets close to my house) for miles 4-6. In fact, I think I found the hill to use for hill repeats. I didn't measure it's distance but it took me 2 minutes at my pace to run up it. I was thrilled that I nailed the pace. Total time was 1:12:02 and average pace was 10:17. Mile 6 was just barely over my goal pace at 10:33 but mile 7 slowed to 10:55. I was really done by that point. The sun was getting to me and my new blisters were hurting. It was a great first long run, though, because most of my long runs lately have been closer to an 11:00 average pace.

3 comments:

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I find it hard to find a training schedule that fits mine. I can only usually run four days a week, with work and kids taking up too much time on the other three. SO I try to train like crazy on the days I do. I will have to check out the runners world plans.

Pam @ herbieontherun.com said...

You rock it girl! I'd like to see that training plan you've put together. I've just done the same thing for my fall half marathons. Mine is kind of a hybrid between Hal Higdon's and one from Runner's World with my own spin on a few things. I'm hoping to get sub 2:10in October.

Anonymous said...

For the last couple years, it's actually been in the 60s for the Sept HnH. Not quite ideal, but feels pretty good after the hot summer, and I've never felt hot. Best wishes on your goals! I want a sub-2 as well, but think that won't happen by September... I'm gonna go for a 2:05, I think...