Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Tequila and Speedwork

My sub-2 half marathon plan called for 6 miles with 4 at 9:00 pace. I knew it was on the schedule for today, placed there by yours truly.

And yet I went out with the girls last night. I ate chips, salsa, enchiladas, frozen yogurt, and washed it all down with TWO margaritas.  I know the pain of sweating out tequila, yet I did it anyway.

I wasn't willing to move speedwork to another day because I have Hottest Half this weekend and my legs are pretty slow to recover from fast running. So, this morning we went to the gym and I hit the treadmill as planned.

Mile 1: warm up-ish pace. 11:44 for the first half mile, 10:44 for the rest of the mile.
Mile 2: 9:01 but it was painful. I wasn't willing to quit the plan entirely, but I knew I would physically not be able to run 4 miles at this pace today without some sort of alteration in the plan. I walked 0.05 miles after 1 full mile.
Mile 3: 9:01 with 0.10 mile of walking after the fast mile.
Mile 4: 9:01 with 0.10 mile of walking after the fast mile.
Mile 5: 9:01 with 0.10 mile of walking after the fast mile.
Mile 6: Ahhh... finish it up with an 11:44 mile. So glad to be finished.

The good news is that on week 4 of the 10 week plan, that's what I perceive to be the 2nd most difficult speedwork day. I get to do it again later (at a pace 7 seconds faster) and the most difficult day is a 7 miler with 5 at this pace. The shorter tempo runs and the mile repeats seem easier, even if they're faster. The light at the end of the tunnel is closer!

2 comments:

Shanda said...

Good job I'll be tackling my speedwork tonight on the treadmill!!! You did good considering tequila was on board!! Lol hey do you run at an incline during speedwork?

http://texasrunningmom.blogspot.com/ said...

Oh my gosh! I love your bart simpson comic! Where did you get that? Too cute!