Sunday, January 29, 2012

Long Runs Getting Longer

Yesterday I met 11 other girls from North Texas Runners at Arbor Hills for a run. The actual trail trails were closed because of our recent rain, so we stuck to the pavement. We ran 2 mile HILLY loops, so it was double duty hillwork and long run. My plan called for 7.5 miles, but I knew I'd probably go a little long because of the loops- and my stellar math abilities told me that 2x4=8. :) We ran the first loop together, then in the second loop I caught up to Fiona who was leading the pack. I'd forgotten how well we run together- she was my 5am running buddy through the summer. We took walk breaks every mile, and a little more in our last mile since I'd technically met my quota, but my average pace was still just over 11. That's faster than my other long runs, especially figuring in the hills... but it didn't feel like it. We finished with 8.5 miles. Next week calls for 9, so not much of a bump unless I go long again.

I got some input from another runner who I respect very much and am taking to heart. She pointed out that it's quite ambitious for me to try for a sub-2 half PR one weekend, run TIR the next weekend, my 20 mile longest run the next, then taper for a marathon. I certainly don't want to get injured again! I think I'll know how my body is holding up by my 17 mile long run 2 weeks before Rock n Roll Dallas and I'll make the decision about sub-2 way closer to that date. It's sort of like the marathon. It's flagged on my calendar but I realize my health will dictate what I can do.

I was the last person on Earth to be tagged for the random 11 things going around running blogs. Thanks, Pam. I am planning to get to this in the next day or two.

No comments: